RECIPE TITLE "Day After Thanksgiving Turkey Strudel" Author:
serves 6 --moderate
- 1 1/2 pkgs. fresh spinach, destemmed & rinsed,
- 2 1/2 cups
leftover turkey -- very finely chopped,
- 1/4 cup dark raisins (optional)
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise,
- 2/3 cup sour cream,
- 2 teaspoons
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch,
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, Strudel,
- 8 sheets phyllo dough,
- 1/2 cup butter -- melted
- Steam spinach for 2 to 3 minutes; drain very well (make sure
to squeeze out as much water as possible) and cool. Mix together
remaining filling ingredients; stir in spinach.
- Place one sheet of phyllo on an ungreased cookie sheet (keep
remaining phyllo under a damp towel to keep moist.) Brush with
melted butter. Put on 3 more sheets; brush with butter. Place
another sheet crosswise on top of the first 4 sheets; brush with
butter. Top with remaining sheets (going in same direction as
the last sheet) and brush with butter.
- Spoon filling onto the middle of the phyllo sheets. Bring phyllo
sheets up and over filling and shape into a round shape....make
sure phyllo encloses all of the filling. (You can twist the top
ends of the phyllo dough like a Hershey's Kiss or just leave then
lying flat over the top.) Brush with remaining butter. Bake at
350 for 50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut in wedges to serve.