RECIPE TITLE "HEY, HEY SOUP" recipe from Blue Moon Soup. Recipes
by Gary Goss, Illustrations by Jane Dyer (Little, Brown, and Company;
September 1, 1999)
This hot and jazzy sweet potato soup is named after a great jazz
club in Kansas City.
2 tablespoons butter
1 small leek, chopped (1 to 1-1/2 cups)
1/4 cup chopped chives
3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (ask an adult to
1 tablespoon cooking sherry or dry white wine (optional)
1 teaspoon curry
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk
Garnish: 1 cup shredded Muenster Cheese, 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms,
and 1 bar of great chocolate, broken into bite-size pieces.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
2. Melt the butter in a soup pot on medium heat.
3. Add the leek, chives, mushrooms, half of the sweet potatoes, the
sherry if using, curry, salt, and pepper. Saute for 10 minutes, stirring
with a wooden spoon.
4. Add the remaining sweet potatoes and 2 cups of water, and stir.
5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
6. In a blender or a bowl, blend or mash half the soup with the milk
until thick and silky smooth.
7. Return the blended soup to the soup pot, and stir.
8. Place soup crocks on a cookie sheet. Ladle soup into crocks, and
garnish. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbly.