RECIPE TITLE "PEACE SOUP" recipe from Blue Moon Soup. Recipes
by Gary Goss, Illustrations by Jane Dyer (Little, Brown, and Company;
September 1, 1999)
Always search and work for peace and friendship. A great start
is through cooking this pea soup.
2 tablespoons butter
1 small leek, chopped (1 to 1-1/2 cups)
1 teaspoon minced fresh mint or 1 teaspoon curry powder (2 teaspoons
if you love curry)
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger or 1/3 teaspoon powdered (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 10-ounce package frozen peas
1/2 stalk celery, chopped
2-1/2 cups milk
Garnish: fresh mint or carrot curls
Use leeks in cream soups instead of onions. Leeks taste sweeter.
1. Melt the butter in a soup pot on medium heat.
2. Add the leek, mint, ginger if using, salt, and pepper. Saute for
about 5 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the peas, carrot, celery, and just enough water to cover them
(about 2 cups), and stir.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the
vegetables are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
5. In a blender or a large bowl, blend or mash 2 cups of the soup
with the milk until thick and silky smooth.
6. Return the blended soup to the soup pot, and stir.
7. Ladle into bowls and garnish.