RECIPE TITLE "Peasants'
Salad Pita Pockets" Author: Brad
serves 6 15
- 4 cups cubed
whole-grain French bread;
- 1/2 small red onion, quartered and very thinly
- 1-1/2 cups small broccoli florets;
- 1 cup small cauliflower florets;
- 1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced;
- 1/2 yellow or green pepper, thinly sliced;
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cubed;
- 5 cherry tomatoes, halved, or 1 large tomato,
- 4 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced;
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled;
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar;
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup minced fresh oregano or 2 tablespoons dried;
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon
salt; Freshly ground black pepper, to taste;
- 4 whole-wheat pita breads
- In a very large
bowl, mix the bread cubes, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, red peppers,
yellow or green peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, mushrooms, feta, vinegar,
basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Toss well.
- Cut the pita breads
in half and stuff the salad inside each pocket.