RECIPE TITLE "Lemon Meringue Pie" Author:
Hallelujah! The Welcome Table
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1Ú8 teaspoon salt
- 11Ú2 cups hot water
- 11Ú2 cups crumbs from soft-type bread (no crusts)
- 4 egg yolks (reserve whites for Meringue)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Grated rind of 1 medium lemon
- Juice of 2 medium lemons
- One 9-inch pie shell, baked
- Meringue (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In top part of double boiler, mix well sugar, cornstarch, and
salt. Stir in hot water and combine until smooth. Add bread crumbs
and cook over boiling water, stirring until smooth and thickened.
- In small mixing bowl, beat egg yolks, and stir in a small amount
of mixture. Then combine the two mixtures in boiler, and cook
over low to medium heat for
- 2 to 3 minutes. Add butter, lemon rind, and lemon juice. Cool
- Pour mixture into baked shell. Pile Meringue lightly on top,
covering filling completely.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- 4 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 tablespoons sugar
Beat egg whites with salt until frothy. Gradually add cream of
tartar and sugar. Beat until stiff but not dry.