1. In a 2- to 3-quart pan, mix 1 1/4 cups sugar with 6 tablespoons
cornstarch and salt. Whisk in 1/2 cup cold water, lemon peel, and
lemon juice, blending thoroughly. Whisk in the egg yolks. Add the
butter and whisk in 1 1/2 cups boiling water.
2. Set pan over medium-high heat and stir with a flexible spatula
until mixture boils, about 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and
stir filling 1 minute more.
3. Pour filling into pie crust.
4. In a small bowl, mix the remaining 1/2 cup sugar with the remaining
2 teaspoons cornstarch.
5. In a deep bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with a mixer
on high speed (use whisk attachment if available) until very foamy
and no liquid whites remain in bottom of bowl. Continue to beat
at high speed and gradually add the sugar-starch mixture, 1 tablespoon
at a time. Then beat until whites hold stiff, glossy peaks.
6. Spoon meringue onto hot pie filling. With a spatula, swirl meringue
to cover filling completely, touching the rim of the pie shell.
7. Bake in a 325° oven until meringue is browned, about 25
minutes. Set pie on rack until cool, about 3 hours. Serve, or invert
a large bowl over pie (take care not to touch meringue) and chill
up to 1 day.
NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 367(29% from fat); FAT 12g (sat 3.6g); PROTEIN 4.7g; CHOLESTEROL
110mg; SODIUM 207mg; FIBER 0.4g; CARBOHYDRATE 62g