1. In a bowl, gently mix cookie crumbs, fresh cherries, dried
cherries, almonds, chocolate chips, sugar, cinnamon, and kirsch.
2. Lay 1 filo sheet flat (cover remaining filo with plastic wrap
to prevent drying) and brush lightly with butter. Cover with another
filo sheet and brush lightly with more butter. Repeat to stack remaining
3. Spread cherry-chocolate filling in a 3-inch-wide band along
1 long edge of the dough, 2 inches in from edge and the ends. Fold
long edge, then the ends of dough over filling. Gently roll the
filled side of dough forward to form a compact cylinder, ending
seam side down.
4. Gently transfer the strudel roll, seam down, to a buttered 12-
by 15-inch baking sheet. Brush top of roll with remaining melted
5. Bake on the center rack in a 375° regular or convection
oven until golden brown, 15 to 25 minutes. Using 2 wide spatulas,
transfer strudel to a platter. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar,
if desired. Cut into 1 1/2-inch-wide slices and serve warm.
NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 303(48% from fat); FAT 16g (sat 7.2g); PROTEIN 3.8g; CHOLESTEROL
22mg; SODIUM 188mg; FIBER 0.7g; CARBOHYDRATE 39g