RECIPE TITLE "Greek (and Organic) Macaroni and Cheese" from
Macaroni & Cheese
Copyright © 2001 by Joan Schwartz.
An amazing dish with lively colors and textures, this suggests
a Greek salad transformed. Chef Pouillon of Nora and Asia Nora,
in Washington, DC, uses only organic ingredients here in all the
food she cooks, and they are worth seeking out when you shop. Feta
contrasts with the sweet, juicy tomatoes and fresh spinach, and
the herbs sing of Greece.
- 1 pound macaroni
- 12 pound spinach, washed and stemmed
- 1 12 pounds crumbled feta cheese (about 6 cups)
- 2 13 cups whole milk
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 23 olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 34 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp. minced fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped garlic
- 12 tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 12 cup pitted and coarsely chopped black olives
- 12 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
- 12 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 14 cup mixed chopped fresh herbs
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Bring 6 quarts of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook,
stirring occasionally, until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and
place in a large mixing bowl.
3. Blanche the spinach: Bring 4 quarts of salted water to a simmer
over medium-high heat. Have ready a large bowl of ice water and slotted
spoon. Add the spinach to the simmering water (in three or four batches)
and submerge it. Let it cook for about 15 seconds, remove with the
slotted spoon, and plunge into the ice water. Let the spinach cool
completely, drain it, and squeeze out the excess water. If the leaves
are large, chop then into bite-size pieces. Reserve
4. In a blender or food processor, puree the feta cheese with the
milk, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Blend in necessary.
This will not be completely smooth; there will be very small chunks
of cheese remaining. Stir the cheese mixture into the cooked pasta,
then add the minced rosemary and thyme, the garlic, red pepper flakes,
olives, cherry tomatoes, and blanched spinach.
5. Place in a 9 by 13-inch baking pan and sprinkle with the grated
Parmesan cheese and the mixed herbs. Bake on the middle shelf until
the pasta is heated through and the top is slightly browned, 25 to
Macaroni & Cheese
From the kitchen that brought us the I-have-never-seen-anything-yummier Grilled Cheese comes the it-just-got-yummier Macaroni & Cheese. The kid-friendly favorite is now being spotted at the trendiest restaurants around town, and this fantastic cookbook has it all. More than 50 classics range from the tried-and-true Yankee Doodle Dandy Baked Macaroni and Cheese and quick to prepare specialties such as the yodel-worthy Alpine Macaroni with Appenzeller and Crème Fraîche to international specialties like Giuvetchi, a Greek dish of orzo in a cinnamon tomato sauce with lamb and kasseri, myzithra, and feta cheeses. There are even a few dessert versions like Falooda, a traditional Indian treat, this one using ricotta and sweet vermicelli, with cherries and a touch of cardamom. Recipes for side salads and soups help round out a balanced meal. Mac & cheese-it'll always please.