RECIPE TITLE "Fresh from the Garden Strawberry Muffins" Author: Kiki, Recipes.it
- 2 1/2 cups Flour,
- 2/3 cup Sugar,
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda,
- 3/4 teaspoon Cinnamon,
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh Strawberries -- sliced,
- 1 cup Milk,
- 1/3 cup Butter
or Margarine -- melted,
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Vanilla,
- 2 Eggs -- lightly beaten,
- OR paper liners,
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda & cinnamon in a large bowl, and stirwell.
- Add fresh strawberries and mix well. Make a well in center of mixture and
- Combine milk, butter, vanilla & eggs in a medium bowl. Stir well.
- Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Divide batter evenly
among 18 muffin cups coated with cooking spray or lined with baking cups-- 1 scant
ice cream scoop per muffin.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar evenly over muffins. Bake at 350 degrees F for
25 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from pans immediately, then let cool on a wire rack.
The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old-Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery
Appel and Torey are owners of the eponymous Manhattan bakery, which turns out the kind of white-cake treats that graced most tables decades ago. Retro deserts include Chocolate Wafer Icebox Cake, made with Nabisco wafers, and Oatmeal, Raisin, Almond Cookies. These recipes are classics, with a few updated touches. Pecan Pie was handed down from a Texas grandmother; Magic Cookie Bars are packed with chocolate chips and coconut and sweetened with three cans of condensed milk. The unfortunately named Dump Cake is a throwback to old women's magazine recipes, consisting of cherry pie filling, canned pineapple, cake mix, pecans and butter. These super-sweet, mostly buttery items hark back to a pre-cholesterol eraAevidenced by Chocolate Chip, Peanut, Banana Loaf, which the authors describe as "healthy." A chapter on cheesecakes offers Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake and White Chocolate-Hazelnut Cheesecake. A section of baking tips includes little new information for even novice cooks (e.g., advice such as measuring accurately and watching cookies carefully to guard against burning). The same can be said of this book as a whole: these recipes are good, if ordinary. (Nov.)
Copyright 1999 Reed Business Information, Inc.