RECIPE TITLE "Mother's Day: Fresh Strawberry Bread" Author: Recipes.it
1 loaf -- moderate
2 cups (500 ml) fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
1+3/4 cups (430 ml) bread or all purpose flour
1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
1/4 tsp (1 ml) baking powder
3/4 cup (180 ml) sugar
1/3 cup (80 ml) butter or other shortening
1/3 cup (80 ml) water
1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped walnuts
Cream cheese, softened (optional)
Ground cinnamon (optional)
Teacup Bouquet She'll love this adorable teacup blooming with a beautiful arrangement of everlasting pink roses with floral accents or blue mums and daisies. Comes with a Mother's Day greeting. Ceramic teacup with beautiful bouquet is 8"H.
- Crush enough of the strawberries to fill 1 cup (250 ml).
- Pour into a small saucepan and heat over a medium flame. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Slice the remaining strawberries and chill. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. In a large mixing bowl beat the sugar and butter together and then add the eggs and water, mixing until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mixing well to blend. Stir in the crushed strawberries and walnuts. Spoon the mixture into a greased 8x4x4 inch (approx. 20x10x10 cm) loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F (180C) oven for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. When the loaf has cooled in the pan for 10 minutes, turn onto a rack to cool.
- Cut into slices, spread with softened cream cheese, add a light dusting of cinnamon, and top with the reserved chilled strawberries.