RECIPE TITLE "Lamb and eggplant kebabs"
This recipe is fromThe Barbecue! Bible Copyright © 1998 by Steven Raichlen. All rights reserved.
... more great recipes from Steven Raichlen on our GREAT CHEFS page!
Serves 4 --
This colorful skewer is one of the most popular kebabs in Turkey, and given the mild, sweet flavor of Turkish eggplants, it's easy to see why. As the kebabs cook, the eggplant absorbs the lamb juices, creating one luscious combination. Another plus for health-conscious eaters is the high proportion of vegetables to meat. Choose eggplants that are rather long and narrow: Asian eggplants work well.
8 long metal skewers, or 8 bamboo skewers and an aluminum foil shield
1 pound ground lamb
1/4 cup minced red onion
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
8 Asian or other long slender eggplants (each 6 to 7 inches long and 1-1/2 inches wide)
Lavash or pita bread
1. Place the lamb in a large bowl and mix in the onion, garlic, parsley, salt, cumin, and pepper. Knead and squeeze the mixture with your hands until thoroughly blended, 3 to 4 minutes. To test the mixture for seasoning, cook a small amount in a nonstick skillet until cooked through, then taste, adding more salt and/or pepper to the remaining mixture as necessary; it should be highly seasoned.
2. Trim the ends off the eggplants and discard them; cut each eggplant crosswise into 1-1/2-inch rounds. Thread each round, through the cut side, on a skewer, 4 to a skewer, spacing them about 1-1/2 inches apart.
3. Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap. Divide the meat mixture into twenty-four equal portions. Lightly wet your hands with cold water, then take one of the portions of meat and mold it around a skewer, between two eggplant rounds, making it as much as possible the same size and shape as the eggplant. Repeat with the remaining portions of meat so each skewer contains 4 eggplant rounds alternating with 3 portions of meat. As it is made, place each kebab on a baking sheet.
4. Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. If desired, use a grateless grill setup.
5. When ready to cook, arrange the kebabs on the grill as described for grateless grilling or brush and generously oil the grill grate and place the kebabs directly on it. (If using bamboo skewers, place an aluminum foil shield under the ends of the skewers.) Grill, turning with tongs, until nicely browned and cooked through, 8 to 12 minutes in all.
6. Using a piece of lavash to protect your hand, slide the meat and eggplant off the skewers onto serving plates. If desired, trim away the charred eggplant skin before eating. Serve accompanied by lavash.
If you are not planning to cook the kebabs immediately, cover them loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate them.
|Raichlen on Ribs, Ribs, Outrageous Ribs
It’s a marriage made in BBQ heaven: America’s foremost grilling guru takes on ribs. Baby backs and spare ribs, short ribs and long ribs, pork ribs, beef ribs, lamb ribs, and more—a passionate, single-subject celebration of meaty, smoky, sweet ’n’ spicy, crowd-pleasing, fall-off-the-bone-tender ribs.
A perfect rib is the culmination of the griller’s art, and nobody’s better at showing how to put it all together—the tastes, techniques, ingredients, recipes, tips—than Steven Raichlen, award-winning author of Barbecue! Bible, How to Grill, Beer-Can Chicken, and other BARBECUE! BIBLE® books with 3 million copies in print. Here are 75 mouth-watering, repertoire-expanding, rib-rocking recipes: Buccaneer Baby Backs with Rumbullion Barbecue Sauce. Lone Star Barrel Staves. Tandoori Ribs. Maui-Style Short Ribs. Jamaican Jerk Ribs. Thai Sweet Chili Ribs. The Original Dinosaur Ribs. Cousin Dave’s Chipotle Chocolate Ribs. But the book is also a rib clinic: It covers the nine methods for cooking ribs, from direct grilling to spit-roasting. The essential techniques for handling ribs. Key ingredients in making homemade sauces, mops, and rubs. And boxes throughout to help take your rib cookery to the next level—even to the competition level, with tips on how to enter and how to win. More info
|How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques
"...detailed directions are clear, the tips on technique are many and useful, and the outcomes are honest and tasty." -- The New York Times
"150 straightforward recipes will appeal to run-of-the-mill grillers as well as those weekend barbecue warriors..." -- Los Angeles Times
"Mr. Raichlen's recipes are interesting enough to make even an accomplished cook sit up and take notice." -- The Wall Street Journal
"Steven Raichlen might as well be called the guru of grilling, so well versed is he in every aspect..." -- Family Circle
"This summer, there will be only one new addition to my cookbook shelves: Steven Raichlen's 480-page How to Grill." -- Fine Cooking
"With more than 1,000 full-color photos to show you every step... this book can turn anyone into a grill master." -- Good Housekeeping
|The Grilling Encyclopedia: An A-to-Z Compendium of How to Grill Almost Anything
A practical, step-by-step guide to grilling over 250 different kinds of food—from vegetables, wild game, and all varieties of fish and fowl to the old standards: steaks, roasts, sausages (over 50 varieties), and hamburgers—with information on:
•·Selecting the best food to grill and preparing it
•The number of coals to use and the optimum fire temperature
•Using direct and indirect heat
•How to tell when the food is done
•Suitable marinades, sauces, side dishes, and beverages
A practical manual, intended for the home cook using the most readily available equipment, supplies, and ingredients, The Grilling Encyclopedia is a book that anyone can pick up, follow, and use to successfully prepare a fresh, tasty grilled meal. More info
|Mastering the Grill: The Owner's Manual for Outdoor Cooking
Grilling is a science, and it's only when you understand the science of grilling that you can transform it into an art. That's what makes Mastering the Grill a standout on the cookbook shelf. From equipment (grill types and tools) to fire (wood, charcoal, or gas) to ingredients (meat, poultry, fish, and vegetables), the authors have shared their impressive grilling know-how to explain the whys and the hows and guarantee the wows clearly and comprehensively. In addition to hundreds of tips and techniques, this ultimate guide is packed with how-to illustrations and mouthwatering photographs plus 350 surefire recipes everything from rubs and marinades to appetizers, entrees, side dishes, and desserts. Mastering the Grill is a master class in cooking, destined to become a sauce-stained, well-thumbed classic. More info
|Weber's Real Grilling
For sublime outdoor cooking and entertainment, who better to turn to than the foremost authority on grills? With the experts from Weber taking you through the basics and beyond, you’ll be sizzling in no time. Over 200 recipes—each with a mouthwatering photo—are simple to follow and feature common ingredients found in the local market. You’ll also find, can’t-miss techniques, and even substitution tricks... Mark your favorites—and there’ll be plenty—with the handy enclosed page flags. And yes, once they’ve sampled the savory results of your newfound grilling skills, friends and family will be begging for your secrets. Just nod and say, "It’s all in the technique."
* One-of-a-kind grilling cookbook with over 200 original recipes, each with a color photos
* Photos illustrate tips and techniques throughout
* Recipes are big on flavor with easy to find ingredients
* Tabbed chapters and included page flags to mark your favorite recipes
* From basic preparation to advanced fire-tending methods, Weber’s Real Grilling™ has all the tools for successful grilling
|Weber's Big Book of Grilling
Building on the tremendous success of Weber's Art of the Grill, Weber the world's best-known and most trusted grilling experts, return with the ultimate in barbeque cookbooks. Weber's Big Book of Grilling is the definitive guide to outdoor cooking. Packed with 350 recipes and hundreds of sure-fire tips and techniques, this one-stop cookbook is guaranteed to turn readers everywhere into backyard heroes. Using nearly 50 years of outdoor grilling wisdom, the experts at Weber have created an essential handbook destined to become a sauce-stained classic. So, for the chef who's barely flipped a burger or for the local grilling guru, here's all the advice they'll need to stretch their skills--and at the price that's red-hot as the coals! More info