Maui Onion Cognac Sauce
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup finely sliced Maui or other sweet white onion
1 tsp minced garlic
¼ cup cognac
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup demi-glace (optional)*
Freshly ground black pepper
1. To prepare the sauce, melt the 4 tablespoons butter in Roy’s Fusion 10-inch Open Fry Pan over medium-high heat.
2. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes, or until lightly browned.
3. Carefully add the cognac without igniting it and stir to deglaze the pan.
4. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half and then add the cream.
5. Cook to reduce by half again and add the demi-glace (fortified brown sauce).
6. Continue to cook for 3 or 4 minutes, until the sauce coats the back of a spoon.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside and keep warm.
*Note: Demi-glace can be bought in a gourmet market.
Black Peppercorn And Herb Crust
1 tbsp crushed black peppercorns
1 tsp minced fresh basil
1 tsp minced fresh thyme
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
4 7-oz. ahi tuna steaks
2 oz. olive oil
1. Combine salt (to taste), the pepper, basil, thyme, and butter in a bowl and stir to blend.
2. Spread one-fourth the mixture on one side of each tuna steak to coat evenly.
3. Place 2 ounces of olive oil in Roy’s Fusion 11-inch Chicken Fryer, and heat over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
4. Add the ahi, crust side down.
5. Sauté for about 2 minutes on each side for rare to medium-rare, or to your desired doneness.
6. Spoon the sauce onto warmed plates and serve the ahi on the sauce.