RECIPE TITLE "Lentil Soup with Franankfurters" Author: SOAR
- 1 c Lentils; dried quick-cooking
- 6 c Water,
- 2 ea Bacon; slices,
- 1 ea Leek or green onion;
- 1 ea Carrot large, finely chopped
- 1 ea Celery stalk, finely chopped,
- 1 ea Onion; finely chopped
tb Vegetable oil,
- 2 tb Unbleached flour
- 1 tb Vinegar,
- 4 ea Frankfurters;
- 1 tb Catsup; tomato,
- 1 ts Salt
- 1/4 ts Black pepper
- Wash the lentils thoroughly.
- In a 2 1/2-quart saucepan bring 6 cups of water to a boil.
Add the lentils, bacon, leek or green onion, carrot and celery.
Simmer, partially covered, for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a frypan, saute chopped onion in vegetable oil
until soft. Sprinkle flour
over onion, and stir. Lower heat, stir constantly, and cook until
flour turns a light brown.
- DO NOT burn flour.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of hot lentil soup into the browned flour; beat
with a wire whisk until
well-blended. Beat in vinegar.
- Add contents of frypan to lentil pan and stir together.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Add the frankfurters and catsup.
- Cook to heat frankfurters through.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.