RECIPE TITLE "German
Sausage Chowder" Author: John
- 1 pound cooked bratwurst or knackwurst cut in 1/4 in. pieces
(Polish sausage works good too);
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled & coarsely chopped (2 cups);
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup);
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded (4 cups);
- 1 can whole kernal corn (optional);
- 3 cups milk; 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour;
- 1 (4 ounces) cup shredded aged Swiss cheese (no substitutions);
- snipped parsley (if desired)
- In a large saucepan
or Dutch oven combine sausage, potatoes, onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and
dash pepper. Add 2 cups water.
- Bring to boiling;
reduce heat. Cover; simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are nearly
- Stir in cabbage (and
corn if desired); cook 10 minutes more or till vegetables are tender.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups
of the milk. Stir remaining 1/2 cup milk into flour; stir into soup.
- Cook and stir till
thickened and bubbly. DON'T LET IT SCORCH! Stir in cheese till melted.
Garnish with parsley.
© 1997-2009 IM, All rights Res. | Privacy | | | Home