RECIPE TITLE "THUMBPRINT COOKIES" Author: Chocolate Source
Makes about 31/2 dozen cookies--
What's great about this recipe is that the dough can be made in
advance and refrigerated for later use. Terrific filled with jam
(or citrus curd), these are also perfect for holiday cookie sessions
with the kids.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4cup milk
- Jelly, jam, or citrus curd of your choice for filling
- # Preheat oven to 350° F.
- # Lightly grease two or three 12x18-inch baking sheets.
- # In a medium bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- # In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well. Add the flour mixture alternating with the milk and beat thoroughly. If dough is very soft and sticky, refrigerate for 10 minutes or so before proceeding.
- # Drop rounded teaspoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets, leaving several inches between for expansion. Make and indentation in the center of each cookie with your thumb and fill with your favorite jam or citrus curd. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly golden. Cool cookies on the sheets for 1 minute, then remove to a rack to cool completely.