RECIPE TITLE " Flourless Chocolate Torte" recipe courtesy of iGourmet Specialty Recipes
Serves 10 ---- moderate
- 1 500g block Callebaut bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup bourbon, or other liqueur
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, plus additional for dusting the pan
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup ground nuts, such as almond, pecans, or walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch spring form pan and line with parchment. Dust the pan with cocoa powder.
2. In a medium sauce pan over low heat, melt the chocolate and butter together. Pour combination into a large mixing bowl.
3. Stir the sugar and the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture until smooth. (Reserve the egg whites). Stir in the bourbon. Then add the cocoa powder and cinnamon. Finally, fold in the ground nuts.
4. Beat the reserved egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until just combined.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in heated oven for 1 hour or until just set. Allow the cake to cool slightly before removing the sides of the pan. Cool cake completely before serving. Serve with raspberry coulis and whipped cream.
| The Complete Baking Cookbook: 350 Recipes from Cookies and Cakes to Muffins and Pies
The definitive book on baking for home cooks.
Nothing says comfort food like freshly baked cookies, a cake, muffins or homemade bread cooling in the kitchen. Creating those mouthwatering baked treats to share with family and friends is one of life's great pleasures.
The Complete Baking Cookbook provides the inspiration to explore the wonderful world of baking. And of course it includes the tested recipes to make it easy and tasty. Written by baker and pastry chef extraordinare George Geary, this collection of 350 easy-to-follow recipes offers a tantalizing variety of goodies from pies, tarts, cobblers and crisps, to cookies, cheesecakes and holiday pastries.
What really sets this baking book apart from others is that there is a special section with comprehensive material for each category of baked good. For example, the cookies chapter includes instructions and line drawings on effective techniques (scooping, using a pastry bag), troubleshooting and tips, choosing the right pan, and comparison charts.
With hundreds of recipes and an abundance of luscious photographs, this book will be cherished by home bakers everywhere. More info
|Bundt Cake Bliss: Delicious Desserts from Midwest Kitchens
How does an ordinary person make a sophisticated, crowd-pleasing cake in a snap? With a bundt pan, of course! Foodie Susanna Short brings back the beautiful bundts of yesteryear with mouthwatering, kitchen-tested recipes for busy families, elegant entertainers, and confection connoisseurs everywhere in Bundt Cake Bliss.
From vintage favorites like Quick Orange Kiss and Tunnel of Fudge to fanciful finds like Green Chili Cornbread and Mexican Hot Chocolate Mini Bundts, this delightful book features just about every delectable bundt baked by the Midwest’s own since the handy pan burst into the baking scene in the 1960s. And don’t forget the dozens of glazes, sauces, and frostings sure to transform any cake into a shining crown of glory.
Here is a cookbook that makes baking accessible to all, where fun is an essential tool in the kitchen. Among the delicious recipes and stories of the cakes and their creators are tips for dressing up bundts for special occasions and for managing those unexpected mishaps. And to top it off, Short offers warm and humorous reflections about the power of bundts in building community.
Susanna Short is a caterer who has been baking with passion and curiosity since the age of six. Dorothy “Dotty” Dalquist and her husband H. David Dalquist developed the original Bundt pan for their company, NordicWare. More info
|Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations
Taste the chocolatey goodness of Mississippi Mud or marvel at the extravagant elegance of the Lady Baltimore and there will be no doubt that Southerners know how to bake a cake. Here are 65 recipes for some of the most delicious ever. Jam cakes and jelly rolls; humble pear bread and peanut cake; whole chapters on both chocolate and coconut cakes each moist and delicious forkful represents the spirit of the South. A Baking 101 section offers the cake basics, some finishing touches (that means frosting and lots of it!), and the how-to's of storing each lovely concoction so that the last slice tastes as fresh and delightful as the first. More info
|Betty Crocker Ultimate Cake Mix Cookbook: Create Sweet Magic from a Mix (Betty Crocker Books)
With Betty Crocker, delicious desserts are a piece of cake!
Take your favorite Betty Crocker SuperMoist cake mix flavor, add a drop of this, a dash of that, stir, bake, decorate, and you’ve created dessert magic beyond your sweetest dreams! Here’s your complete guide to baking with cake mix, packed with foolproof recipes from the ultimate cake mix experts--the Betty Crocker Kitchens. All your favorites are here, easy to make, easier to bake and easiest of all to enjoy! So whether you’re a first-time baker in search of tempting treats or an expert ready for a challenge, you’ll find plenty of great ideas in Betty Crocker’s Ultimate Cake Mix Cookbook.
* Planning a big birthday bash? Decorate a pretty Ballet Slippers Cake to see any aspiring ballerina twirl in delight.
* On the go to a potluck party? Tote along a super-rich Triple-Fudge Cake and all you’ll bring home is the empty pan.
* Craving a cookie jar filled to the brim? Bake a batch of Old-Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies for a sure-fire snacking treat.
* Hankering for holiday cheer? Create oh-so-cute Rudolph Cupcakes to make any holiday party merry and bright.
* Surprising someone special with a splendid celebration? Frost an elegant Chocolate Ganache Cake and watch your guests ooh and aah. More info
|The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old-Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery
On the corner of Bleecker and Eleventh Streets in the heart of Greenwich Village sits the Magnolia Bakery. This unassuming shop, where the smells of home-style baking weaken even the strongest will, has attracted a clientele that ranges from kids on their way home from school to celebrity glitterati. Cupcakes swirled with pastel frosting crowd the counter, and cakestands display Lemon Vanilla Bundt Cake, Apple Walnut Cake with Caramel Cream Cheese Icing, and Coconut Layer Cake, swathed in fluffy white frosting and covered in drifts of coconut. As Time Out New York says: "The secret to Magnolia's success is simple: Nobody knows how to bake like this anymore."
Magnolia's owners Jennifer Appel and Allysa Torey know how, and in The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook they share their most mouth-watering recipes, from sweet breakfast treats like Dried-Cherry Crumb Buns to classic Iced Molasses Cookies, from decadently rich Caramel Pecan Brownies and Raspberry Marzipan Cheesecake to refreshing Lemon Icebox Pie. Their easy-to-follow recipes and invaluable baking hints mean that even the inexperienced baker will be able to frost the perfect layer cake, turn out the flakiest pie crust, and whip up the creamiest cheesecake. Illustrated with eight pages of glorious color photographs, The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook will inspire you to turn on the oven and create sweet memories for your family and friends.