RECIPE TITLE "Grandma's Picnic Chocolate Cake" Author: Granny Colleen
- 1/3 c Shortening,
- 1 c Sugar,
- 1 Egg, 1 ts Vanilla,
- 1 1/3 c Cake flour; unsifted,
- 1 ts Baking soda,
- 1/2 ts Salt,
- 1/2 c Cocoa, 1 c Buttermilk
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat thoroughly at high speed.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt.
- Sift together once or twice then mix into cocoa.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk (flour mixture first and last) using low to medium speed on mixer, just enough to mix well.
- Pour into 8x8" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1/2 hour.