RECIPE TITLE "SALMON MOUSSE"
excerpted from Silver Palate Cookbook Copyright (c) 1985. Reprinted with permission by Workman Publishing.
Makes at least 12 portions
This has become a Silver Palate classic. It was with us the first day we opened and the only time that it is not in the refrigerator on any given day of the year is when we've sold out. It is light, pretty, refreshing and one of those foods that you enjoy time after time.
1. Soften the gelatin in the cold water in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the boiling water and whisk the mixture slowly until gelatin dissolves. Cool to room temperature.
2. Whisk in the mayonnaise, lemon juice, grated onion, Tabasco, paprika, salt and dill. Stir to blend completely and refrigerate for about 20 minutes,or until the mixture begins to thicken slightly.
3. Fold in the finely flaked salmon. In a separate bowl, whip the cream until it is thickened to peaks and fluffy. Fold gently into the salmon mixture.
4. Transfer the mixture to a 6- to 8-cup bowl or decorative mold. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours.
5. Serve on toasts, black bread or crackers. Or serve as a first course, garnished with watercress.